Managing employees, balancing business operations, staying within defined budgets, and building a successful business all have one thing: employee scheduling. If you aren’t able to get your scheduling process under control and make it as efficient as possible, each of these areas of your business will suffer.
Scheduling is a critical aspect of the success of your business. If you are not scheduling strategically, your overhead costs will be impacted. If the scheduling process is inefficient, your quality of service will suffer. If you don’t respect your employees and their schedules, you will be hurting when performance falters and turnover skyrockets.
So how do you improve your scheduling process? It’s simple, invest in employee scheduling software. If you’re not quite sure what it is or how it can help your business streamline operations, don’t worry, we will cover everything you need to know about scheduling software and how it can make scheduling your workers of breeze.
1. What is employee scheduling software?
Employee scheduling software allows businesses to schedule their workers across different job sites and projects. Scheduling managers can view employee availability information or time-off requests. You better schedule their employees. The software allows employees to view their schedules from any internet-connected device to better plan their personal lives.
2. When is it time to start using this software?
The short answer is that there is never a bad time to start using an employee scheduling tool. However, it is better to start using it sooner than later. The last thing your business wants is to rush to implement good operational procedures, so by implementing scheduling software early, you can get ahead of any potential issues.
So when is the right time to start using employee scheduling software? Here are some reasons to consider implementation:
- You want to ensure each shift is staffed with skilled workers.
- You’re having trouble organizing day-to-day schedules because you have a lot of employees.
- You need to better understand employee availability to schedule according to need and preference.
- You want a bird’s eye view of your employee’s shift on any given day, week, or month.
- You need to assign jobs or locations throughout the day due to work requests.
If you only employ a few workers, you might be able to get away with using a spreadsheet for scheduling. However, if you want to ensure success and run as efficiently as possible, you should consider implementing an employee scheduling system.
3. How to use employee scheduling software.
There are many different ways that you can use employee scheduling software. If you aren’t sure how it works, then here are two common examples of what you can do with such a solution.
- Employee scheduling software allows you to create open shifts that can then be assigned to employees afterward. If employees have fairly set schedules, then you can use a repeating option, so you don’t have to enter a new shift every day manually. Templates can also be created that capture a snapshot of a schedule, and then you can apply that schedule to a future week.
- If you are in a business that relies heavily on job costing, you can apply job codes to your shifts. You can see exactly how much time has been scheduled for a specific job or at a location and can ensure that you are staffed properly for that task.
4. How to find good employee scheduling software.
There are many different types of employee scheduling and time tracking software available. It will be challenging to find a solution that meets all of your business needs. Some solutions are completely free but offer limited functionality. In comparison, others are subscription-only but come with many advanced features. If you are not sure where to start, the good news is that most scheduling solutions provide free trials. You can test out the software to determine if it will meet all of your requirements.
Besides your basic scheduling requirements, here are some other things to look for in your next employee scheduling software.
- The scheduling software you choose should be easy to use and provide customer support through multiple channels, so you always have someone to help you when you need it.
- It should integrate with other software solutions such as QuickBooks or Paychex. These integrations can help you avoid clerical errors and duplicated data, which will save you both time and money down the road.
- The solution you choose should provide advanced features that compliment your scheduling process, such as the ability to report availability, track time off, and even capture employee work hours.
- You should be able to set up recurring shifts easily and edit those shifts if needed.
- The software should be flexible enough to be used both in and out of the office.
- Your workers should be able to access their shift calendar, receive notifications, and review their daily schedules.
5. Why use employee scheduling software?
In short, employee scheduling software can make your life and the lives of your employees much easier. With it, you can quickly craft efficient schedules and send them instantly to your workers, so everyone is on the same page.
Rather than having a schedule set in stone because you’re working with archaic scheduling methods such as pen and paper, you will have more control and flexibility over your scheduling process with the software. Additionally, you will get a real-time view of what is happening with your team and make quick operational decisions based on that information.
At the end of the day, web-based employee scheduling software can help you run your business and manage your employees more efficiently. You can’t grow if you don’t have an excellent strategy to handle growth, so invest in employee scheduling software today to ensure business success.